NFL In London – New York Jets vs Miami Dolphins
International Series Game 12
By Amanda Arrowsmith @Pontecarloblue
This past weekend saw the New York Jets take on the Miami Dolphins in their divisional clash at Wembley Stadium, London for the 12th International Series game to be held in the UK since 2007. Â Whilst this was a home game for the Dolphins (who want to host a Super Bowl so needed to show willing), the weekend and all the surrounding activity for both sets of fans was fantastic.
As a Jets fan for nearly 30 years this was the first time I was going to see them live and boy they did not disappoint. After taking an early lead with a score on their first drive the Dolphins never looked like they were getting back in the game and the Jets went on to win comfortably 27-14. Fitzpatrick had a great game with Nick Mangold and the rest of the Line doing solid work to block and give him time. He ended with the second highest QB rating of the weekend across the league; Chris Ivory had a career high of 166 rushing yards and Muhammad Wilkerson racked up 2 sacks.
The game was great – 84,000 American football fans from the USA, UK and across Europe. A sea of Green and Aqua with pretty much every other team also represented. It must be strange for the visiting US fans to see every team jersey at a divisional game but it’s not just about the game it’s about the whole weekend – so here are some highlights from me and my long suffering Dolphins fan boyfriend (who just happens to be called Fitzpatrick too):
- Connecting with other NFL fans from around the globe. I got to meet the blooming marvelous Duchess of Brooklyn (@IAmJavone) through NFLFemale. We laughed, gave her the London experience with a black cab past Buckingham Palace, fish and chips, a pint and a bus ride. And she got toÂ
stalkmeet Curtis Martin and get her shirt signed.
- Seeing and speaking with Dan Marino. When NFL coverage started over here in the 80s it was all about Dan. Seeing my other half so starstruck was a bonus!
- Catching a mini football from Darrelle Revis. Yep, you read that right! At the fan rally the players threw them out to the crowd and little old me caught one; a two handed catch in double coverage no less.
- Joining in the J.E.T.S. jets jets jets chant with Fireman Ed and the rest of the Gang Green in the Jets Pub.
- Meeting Sam Maddison, Mark Duper and Mark Clayton along with TD in the Dolphins pub and seeing how fascinated they were with the passion of the UK American football fans.
Overall, it was a great weekend and I can’t wait until the next two International Series games here Buffalo Bills vs Jacksonville Jaguars (10/25) and Detroit Lions vs Kansas City Chiefs (11/1).
We head to New York for Thanksgiving and the return game with the Dolphins vs Jets at MetLife on 11/29.